Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Abstract Impressionism

Lady of the Mist

Abstract Bike
Abstract Impressionism is what I am choosing to call this particular style.  Are we allowed to make up our own name?  While the background is abstract, I did add in something recognizable (thus the impressionism part).  Our neighbors are such good friends and Randy is an artist in his own right.  Primarily creating sculptures and folk art.  I invited his wife Cheri over to play with abstract art one day and we pulled out canvas and paint and just dived in.  We had a wonderful time and she did a great job.  I ended up creating two different works.  I started with Lady of the Mist and used a pallet knife, lids, scraper and brushes to create the background.  Fortunately, acrylic dries quickly and while it dried I moved on to the other painting "Abstract Bike" .  The colors reminded me of traffic lights.  Once the back ground was completed I moved back to the first painting and started to sketch in the facial features.  I used a small detailed brush to complete the work and really liked the mysterious feel that began to develop.  Once I was finished with the piece I moved back to the traffic light background and did not feel that drawing a car would do anything for the work.  I remembered riding my cruiser in town and having to wait for a signal to change.  I sketched in the bike, intentionally leaving it a bit more primitive.   A few days later Randy stopped by and asked how much I wanted for the "Lady of the Mist" , saying that Cheri had talked about it and had a connection with it.   We decided on a trade of one of Randy's sculptures and he personalized the work by making a very unique custom frame for it.   It now hangs in Cheri's office.  Lady of the Mist Prints: Fine Art America.  Abstract Bike - Acrylic on Canvas.  16 x 20.  Original: Etsy/Studio Quest, Prints: Fine Art America.  

No comments:

Post a Comment