Friday, April 10, 2015

Derby Lady

Derby Lady
Love drawing and painting women.  We are all so different and I have wondered how much of who we are is affected by where and in what time period we have lived.  Culture, our age, our families, and social standards all play a role.   So many more options are open to women today yet we tend to romanticize bygone eras.   Maybe it was the clothing, or style that appeals to us.  Most of us assume that life was simpler.  While it is true that the women of the past did not have some of the same worries we have today, I think that they had many worries that never even come into our frame of reference.  Most of us do not worry about the weather and the influence it may have on crops or travel.  We do not have to set aside food for the long winter months.  Starting the evening meal is as simple as flipping a switch on the stove or pressing a button.  We do not have to chop wood, haul wood, light a fire, haul in water just to name a few chores that would have been required to provide a meal for your family.  I am grateful that I live in a time where I can pursue whatever it is that I want to pursue.  I am grateful to a mom and grandma that taught me many of the life skills I would need to survive but most of all loved me for who I am.  I have three daughters and they could not be more diverse and different from each other.  Something I celebrate.  Each has her own unique skill set and personality that makes our family a bit quirky and never dull.  As I worked on Derby Lady I wanted to stay primarily with sepia tones and have the background be a simple white.   She needed just a touch of color and I added in the blue.   Acrylic on Canvas.  16 x 20    Original: Etsy/Studio Quest, Prints; Fine Art America.  

No comments:

Post a Comment