Friday, May 8, 2015

Rooted in Texas

Rooted in Texas

I grew up in California and still love the State.  I loved that I could drive only a few hours and have such a variety in scenery.  One direction was the Pacific the other mountains.  I have to admit I really miss the beach.  I use many blues and greens in my work and gravitate toward marine themes.   That being said, we are not firmly rooted in Texas.  We have bought a piece of land, are in the process of homesteading that property and trying  to learn as we go (see my Budget Homesteading blog for more on that).   I am fortunate to have three out of my four children living on our property and get to have my grand babies help me in my garden and around the house. There is always so much to do and I have to make myself sit down, make a list and try (yes try) to stick to a schedule to get anything done.  We live in such a busy time and as mom's often are pulled in so many directions.  I got over trying to be "Super Mom" years ago but I still just keep piling the projects on.  As a wife, mother, grandmother you try to make sure that your family knows just how important they are to you and want to be there for each one.  Homesteading has its own requirements that requires attention and time.  We are building and construction needs to keep moving forward.  We have animals, gardens and are constantly trying to stay ahead to the forest that wants to take back the land.   It is important to me to provide good meals for my family and simple things like running errands seem to take up a whole day (it doesn't help that town is 30 min. away) and if I need something like art supplies it is a good hour plus away.     Finding time for art, blogging, on-line listings, teaching and creating new work for our local art gallery is always a challenge.   There was a time that my art took a back burner as I raised my family and did humanitarian work in Romania.  I am now dedicated to somehow make the time.  That means that sometimes I have to get up in the middle of the night or work early in the morning.   I've learned that if you really love something, you can find little nuggets of time to pursue that love.  I have to credit my kids and grand kids for teaching me this valuable lesson.  All of them love taking our country walks.  Such a simple, sweet pleasure.  It is a time to talk, a time to enjoy the beautiful creation and a time to smile at the efforts of my daughter trying to catch a butterfly or my grandson pretending to be a new superhero.  I love them, so I make the time!  I am so grateful that we finally have a place we can put down roots and even more grateful that we can do it together.    

No comments:

Post a Comment